From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Susan Lunas
Sent: Wednesday, 14 February 2007 03:30
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] cleaning brushes

Hi, Peter, A while back I learned a trick to clean out dried PVA from brushes that works almost all of the time. Simply place the bristles in paste ( the consistency of pudding or drier). Check the bristles every day or so to see if the PVA has softened-- and it will though it takes several days. As the PVA softens, you can wash/rub it out. Return the brush to the paste fand repeat the cycle until the brush is clean. This has worked well for me on at least one brush where the dried PVA was several years old.

Susie Lunas
Many Moons Book Conservation
Eugene, Oregon

--