Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 13 Feb 2007 to 14 Feb 2007 (#2007-45)

On Feb 15, 2007, at 12:00 AM, BOOK_ARTS-L automatic digest system wrote:
From: Norman Shapiro
Subject: Book art exhibitors allowing visitors to handle and read their books

I hope that this becomes a trend. This aspect of the experiencing book art goes
to the very heart of this work we do in this genre of art. I began my own involvement
with mail art and artists books believing that by doing so I'd bypass galleries and museums
go directly to the people. I visualized making this art financially affordable as well.

But that was my dream: naive and idealistic. It is really the one genre
of making art that I thought might reach art students, emergent artists, art lovers
with meager incomes, (all children of the middle class), purchasers of modest
art collections.

Now in my late 70s) that this led me to a kind of postmodernism in my thinking.
I did not want to create works for the wealthy, the ceo's, for board rooms of large corporations,
for those who bought art as investments and tax shelters, or for huge spaces that could only
be housed in enormous skyscrapers and temples built in behalf of the vanity of
film stars and the chiefs of arab fiefdoms. Of all the genres, book art could be the
one belonging to 'the people'..... Thus far, sad to say, it hasn't.

Norman Shapiro
http://ufemisms.com

1-212-243-3370

330 W. 28TH St. Apt 7A