Re: [BKARTS] Abuse of this listserv by members

Thank you for the suggestion of using Yahoo Groups. I'm involved with several lists using Yahoo Groups and while there are attractive features, I think the drawbacks outweigh the benefits for a management standpoint. Then there is also the "problem" of all of Yahoo's footer info. As to being able to upload files..., my feeling is that with the plethora of free/almost free hosting solutions that subscribers should avail themselves of those options and provide links to share. The idea of subscribing, setting your options to NOMAIL, and reading messages from the archive at <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/bookarts/index.shtml#archive> is an excellent one. By being subscribed one can still post, but isn't bothered by the torrent of messages...

In terms of Listserv (tm), I realize that there are aspects that can be frustrating. However, it is a very robust/reliable platform for larger lists such as ours. For all the techies out there, the listserv manual can be downloaded at <http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/15.0/LISTSERV15.0_ListOwnersManual.pdf>. The fun starts at page 72.

For digest users, the "MIME" option may work out better than the default version we are now using., but then again it depends on how your email reader is configured.

From <http://email.about.com/cs/standards/a/mime.htm>.

"When you compose a message in an email program capable of MIME, the program does roughly the following:
-If the message is in plain ASCII text only, it leaves it alone and only tells the recipient's email client to expect nothing but plain text.
-If the message contains one or more attachments and a body with HTML formatting, each part is looked at and treated separately."

To set your options to mime send: set book_arts-l NOHTML MIME DIGEST
To: listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In terms of other options, attachments will not allowed on the list for reasons of bandwidth, viruses, and other executables. I am seriously considering allowing the use of formatted messages on the list. This would be tried for a limited period of time, say a week or two, and either continued or returned to the plain text only version at MY discretion.

All this said, the basic crux of the problem comes down being aware of what one is doing when posting and observing really basic netiquette. We all make mistakes at some point in time, even the listowner. The important thing though is to consciously try to not make them, reading messages twice before hitting send, and being courteous to one another. The latter is especially important. Also remember that all messages are archived, and once sent cannot be recalled/deleted.

No environment is perfect and we need to do the best with what we have. This list has brown tremendously since its inception back in June of 1994 to become a very valuable resource and community. Let's all work together to keep it that way.

Many thanks to all for your cooperation and for being a part of this community.

Peter Verheyen

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>