Re: [BKARTS] Inkjet printer iron-on transfer paper

What does the Retayne do?

Thanks,

Kathy

On Feb 26, 2007, at 11:44 AM, Helen Scarth wrote:

Kathy, don't waste your money on transfer papers for inkjet printers.
They're expensive, fiddly at best and produce a rubberized transfer.

There are two types of the above, one for light and one for dark
graphics. I paid Cdn.$18.95 for ten sheets at Staples.

Printing went fine but the iron-on process wasn't so great. The iron
has to be at an exact temperature; too hot and the graphic will melt,
too cool and it won't transfer. The end product is the same as those
horrible t-shirts with the big, sweaty rubber pictures on the front.

Your very best bet is to use Retayne or Reycafix on your fabric first,
starch it like mad,  iron it onto freezer paper then run it through
your inkjet printer.

I make a very thick paste of cooked corn starch and water, immerse the
fabric, wring it out, dry it, iron it while still slightly damp and
the end product has the same rigidity as heavy card stock but will
bend enough to go through my printer. It certainly won't (can't) fray
after this treatment.

Helen in Hamilton, Ontario