Re: [BKARTS] Paste making BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 25 Feb 2007

And that's just how my mother used to make the starch for my father's stiff collars that he wore to work.

She used something called 'Silver Star' starch.

Adrienne

Mix 23g of wheat starch with 30ml of water.  Let that sit, stirring

occasionally, while you bring 250ml of water to a boil.  Pour boiling

water into starch slurry and mix quickly until smooth.  Then we store

ours with a wet cloth on top for up to 3 days or so.  It'll need to be

thinned for most applications.

Happy Monday!

Sandy Hempe

Conservator