Re: [BKARTS] Look of messages - Changes in list.

I don't get digest, I prefer individual messages but I also noticed the change because suddenly I'm getting messages in all sorts of barely readable texts - too light, too small, etc.  I preferred the old way.
Christine

On Feb 28, 2007, at 8:57 AM, Peter Verheyen wrote:

Yes, there has been a change. After the slew of messages on list format... brought me an additional bunch of messages regarding having problems posting, not being able to send non-HTML (formatted email). So, I quietly made the executive decision to allow html formatted messages, in a nod to the VERY large number of gmail, yahoo, hotmail, ... users. The change is most noticable to digest users. This decision is not cast in stone, but...

What I recommend is that digest users send the command: Set Book_Arts-L mail html digest
to:
listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. This address should also be used for any of the options below.

Subscription Types:
Regular - With a "regular" subscription, you receive individual postings immediately, as they are processed by LISTSERV.
  • Digest (traditional) Send: set Book_Arts-L mail digest
  • Digest (MIME format) Send: set Book_Arts-L mail mime digest
  • Digest (HTML format) Send: set Book_Arts-L mail html digest
With a "digest" subscription, you receive larger messages (called "digests") at regular intervals, usually once per day or once per week. These "digests" are collections of individual list postings. Some lists are so active that they produce several digests per day.

Digests are a good compromise between reading everything as it is posted and feeling like the list is clogging your mailbox with a multitude of individual postings.

There are three digest formats: a "traditional", text-only format; a MIME format, which (with mail clients that understand MIME digests) "bursts" the individual messages out of the digest so that you can read them separately; and an HTML format, which requires an HTML mail clients.
  • Index (traditional)  Send: set Book_Arts-L mail nohtml index
  • Index (HTML format) Send: set Book_Arts-L mail html index
With an "index" subscription, you receive short "index" messages at regular intervals, usually once per day or once per week. These "indexes" show you what is being discussed on the list, without including the text of the individual postings. For each posting, the date, the author's name and address, the subject of the message and the number of lines is listed. You can then download messages of interest from the server (the index contains instructions on how to do that).

An index subscription is ideal if you have a slow connection and only read a few hand-picked messages. The indexes are very short and you do not have to worry about long download times. The drawback of course is that you need to reconnect to order messages of interest from the server.

You can choose to have the index sent to you in either a traditional format (plain text) or in HTML format with hyperlinks.

Note, I have not tried most of these options... I'm not wedded to this change, but email has changed an aweful lot in the almost 13 years since the inception of the list. This has made it increasing difficult to keep everybody happy and keep up with every possible type of email software. In the end, much of it will also come down to my convenience. I will continue to block any attachments.

Hope this clarifys the situation.

p.
_____________________________________

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
The Book Arts Web & Book_Arts-L Listserv
<http://www.philobiblon.com>

----- Original Message -----
From: Sally Canzoneri
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:07 AM
Subject: [BKARTS] Look of messages

Peter,

I'm on digest mode. For some reason my digests have started coming with a turquiose background (n problem) and with a lot of codes and stuff after the messages (including my own most recent post which I sent the way I always do.) I'm wondering if other people are having this problem or if I've somehow mucked up on my own computer. This hasn't happened to other digest list messages.

Thanks for you help.

Sally

For all your subscription questions, go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.

See http://www.philobiblon.com for full information