Re: [BKARTS] leather sample books?

I've sent the following message directly to Lee (found his e-mail address at
TomFolio.

If you'd like a copy of the list, I'll be happy to comply

Alan Shalette

===============================

Lee:

I don?t think you'll find a single resource that will answer your very broad
question. E.g., to know how a hide in hand was tanned is almost
impossibility.

However, I can supply the attached list of about 125 subject-page citations
from my union index of books on bookbinding. Most of these references are
post-1950. However, there are some other texts worth mentioning that I
haven't yet indexed, some have samples.

Hulme, Wyndham E. et al
"Leather for Libraries"

Cobham, Viscount and Sir Henry Trueman Wood "Report of the Committee on
Leather for Bookbinding 1901"

Cobham, Viscount and Sir Henry Trueman Wood "Report of the Committee on
Leather for Bookbinding. Edited for the Society of Arts and The Worshipful
Company of Leathersellers 1905"

"AB Bookman's Weekly July 7 1997"
Special Fine Press / Book Arts Issue * Learning About Old Leather
Bookbindings.

British Standards Institution
"British standard glossary of leather terms"

????????

These references exclude many other titles on leather chemistry,
manufacture, and conservation.

Another kind of resource can be (current) bookbinding leather samples
obtained from firms such as Harmatan in the UK.

Finally, I suggest you look at some books about bookbinding history that
contain expertly annotated descriptions & photographs of historically
important bindings.

Good luck.

Alan Shalette