[BKARTS] Classes at BookWorks in Asheville NC

Hello from ASHEVILLE BOOKWORKS,

JUST AROUND THE CORNER, a series of new workshops in MARCH including Encaustic Painting and Marbling on Paper and Cloth.

We also have a Teen Program and Classes for Grades 4 – 6. Find complete information below.

Please call to register 255-8444 or visit the web site (ashevillebookworks.com).

Encaustic Painting
This class will cover the basics of the ancient technique of painting with pigmented beeswax, encaustic painting. We will cover methods of collaging and photo transferring into wax.  If you would like to collage, bring flat, absorbent materials such as recycled scraps, prints, drawings and/or fresh photocopies.
March 8, 15, 22, 6 – 9 pm Celia Gray $135 + materials fee*

Slip Cases
Slip cases are a source of protection and support for books, and also an opportunity to enhance a book's beauty on your shelf. We will explore two slip case structures, one sturdy protector and one a quicker, lighter-weight version. Bring books to encase and be inspired to spice up the books on your shelves!
March 12, 19, 26, 6 – 9 pm Gretchen Winger $110 + materials fee*

Get the Lead Out: Improvisational Letterpress
This class is an introduction to basic letterpress printing practices on the Vandercook Proof Press with a focus on printing from metal type. We will learn about metal type and typesetting. Each student will produce a small broadside, postcard or simple greeting card.
March 17 & 18, 9 – 5 pm Gretchen Winger $180 + materials fee*

The Watercolor Monotype
If you love to watercolor than this workshop is for you. Learn the techniques of watercolor monotyping from plexi-glass and experiment with the possibilities of color, texture and layering. Participants will learn about paper and how to print using the etching press as well as by hand. No previous experience necessary.
March 17 & 18, 10 – 3 pm Katherine McGinn $115 + materials fee*

Marbling on Paper and Cloth
Discover the magic and hypnotic technique of paper decoration known as marbling. Students will learn the history and terminology of marbling, preparation of materials, techniques and patterns and will acquire skill to continue to marble at home. Students will leave class with a collection of papers for all types of projects.
March 24 & 25, 10 – 5 pm Steve Pittelkow $200 + $40 materials fee

Creative Journaling
This class is for artists and creative people who have blank books just waiting to be filled. Creative journals are repositories for things that inspire us and are therefore places we can go to when seeking creative inspiration. They allow one to stop and savour, to explore and to foster inner awareness. We will explore various types of journals and the different purposes they serve, as well as various approaches to keeping them. (eight sessions) Heather Allen Swartthouw
March 29, April 5, 12, 19, 26, May 10, 17, 24, 6:30 – 9 pm,$245 + materials fee*

Teen Program: Multicolor Relief Printing
Learn how to create multi-color relief prints using the process of reduction printing. This intriguing process produces surprising and wonderful results of layering color as you work from one linoleum block to “reduce” the block to its final state. We will also be doing a class portfolio exchange of the finished prints.
March 6, 13, 20, 4 – 6 pm Katherine McGinn $110 (includes materials)

Grades 4 – 6: Recycled Books
Use materials that are readily available around the house and community to make fun books that can be private journals or whimsical sketchbooks, homes for collections or sanctuaries for dreams.  We will begin with basic projects that are easy to do and then explore more involved book structures.  This class is open to young adults in grades 4-6.
March 5, 12, 19, 26, 3:30 – 5pm Micah Pulleyn $90 (includes materials)

*materials fees usually run about $10 – 20 depending on the class

Contact: Laurie Corral or Micah Pulleyn ASHEVILLE BOOKWORKS 428 1/2 Haywood Road Asheville, NC 28806 255-8444 ashevillebookworks.com info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx