Re: [BKARTS] More info about a nipping press

I once bought an old rusty press. I took it to a local blacksmith who sandblasted it and then painted it with spray automobile paint. This worked great, ---easy clean-up, easy rust removal, and it still looks great after about 15 years of use.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Helen Scarth" <circe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 8:24 PM
Subject: More info about a nipping press

I bought an old cast iron nipping press last summer while on vacation
and have finally got around to stripping the paint to refinish it as
it is fairly rusty - much worse after the cat spilled wine on it but
that's another story.

Visible on the base are the remains of a manufacturer's decal in the
shape of an oval. Along the top I can make out "World's Columbian
....", the name Gates or Cates in the middle and "Chicago 18XX" along
the bottom.

Does anyone have any information on this press? it's age? etc. Anyone
know where I might see a complete matching decal?

Helen
Hamilton, Ontario