[BKARTS] Tokyo and Kyoto

WOID #XI-48. This & That

In Kyoto, Teramachi Street south of Maturamachi has a nice set of shops:
Shimaya (two blocks down on the West side) has huge bins of cuttings of
old Japanese calligraphy, from about $20.00 up to 200.00. The owner was
certain I'd prefer something with a picture in it.

Kamiji Kakimoto, on the East side, up from Nijo Street, has been selling
handmade papers since 1845. The shop is efficient and the selection
magnificent. First time I enjoyed papers by the smell.

Further down, on the West Side of Teramachi, a small shop, Shimizu Sue
Shouten, letters and gilds traditional wooden signs. You can watch them
at work.

Finally, the shopping arcade south of City Hall has a branch of Kyukyudó
that?s a bit more upscale than their flagship store in the Ginza, and a
bit more serious. The Kyoto thing, I guess.

In Tokyo, the Japan Traditional Craft Center in the Metropolitan Plaza
Building in Ikebukuro has a fine selection of papers from all over
Japan. http://www.kougei.or.jp

WOID #XI-46. This & That
Saturday, July 31, 2004 5:18 pm

Narita International Airport has its own calligraphy museum - actually,
it's on the grounds of Shinjo Temple, a short distance away. Naritasan
Calligraphy Museum, open 9:00 - 4:00 except Mondays and the day after a
national holiday. 0467-24-0774. http://naritakanko.jp/naritashodo/ -
Narita Station on the Keisei or JR line.

Obi no Miyashita is an obi (kimono sash) stall on Nakamise Street, the
main passageway leading to the Senso-ji (Temple) in Asakusa, Tokyo.
They sell ten-inch remnants, very reasonable and the nicest textiles
I've seen so far.

Kyukiodó has been selling paper, calligraphy supplies and inkstones
since 1800. They have several branches around Tokyo. The luxury items
in their Ginza store (Chuo Street, just south of Harumi Street) were
dull, but their printed papers were reasonably priced and unlike
anything I've seen in America.

Somewhere south of Ueno Park there's a street that's supposed to house
traditional craft shops but all I saw was bars and brothels, with the
exception of a small brush-and-ink shop. They had the old-fashioned
strips of animal glue once used for woodblock prints. I bought the last
batch. So sorry.

http://theorangepress.com
WOID: a journal of visual language