[BKARTS] Philip Smith coming to Portland OR in May 2007

A formal announcement will be made closer to the event, but here's an
important head's up:

In conjunction with an exhibition in my institution's Collins Gallery
that I am organizing, "Philip Smith: Extraordinary Bindings from an
Englishman," the man himself, Philip Smith will be coming from the UK to
Portland for the opening at 2 PM and to give us all an illustrated
lecture at 3:30 on May 19, 2007.

The exhibition opens on May 19, 2007 and closes on July 11, 2007.

Please mark your calendar for this rare opportunity to see Philip's
bindings in one place gathered from collections, private and
institutional, around the US, and to hear him discuss his art and craft,
and unique manner of bookbinding.  This will be a treat for all!

For more information, please contact me directly (below).

   Jim Carmin
   John Wilson Special Collections Librarian
   Multnomah County Library
   Room 2M-C
   801 SW 10th Ave.
   Portland, OR 97205