From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul
Platosh
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:23 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] 150 page book project

Chris-

I'm not sure if you are planning on doing the printing yourself, or as I
suspect, hire it out. At any rate, I pay about .75 cents a square inch for
getting polymer plates made. Some quick math, and you get about $3000 in
plate material alone. Ink is cheap, but remember that on the letterpress,
any additional color will require a second pass - greatly increasing the
cost of labor. Paper is a big variable - "handmade" is not enough to go on.
For example, there are some relatively cheap Indian papers that are
handmade, and "rustic" shall we say. Or there are nice Italian handmade
papers at 5 times the cost. Leather bindings again will add cost - are you
tooling the cover? What will probably hurt is the cost of labor on this job,

and you'll have to try every trick to keep the costs down.

Good luck

Paul Platosh
Puddletown Press