Re: [BKARTS] Portable bookbinding equipment - request for advice

Hi Gina,
If you take two pieces of plywood and 2 wood clamps you could use it as a press for everything. I use melamine coated boards and 6 inch wood gluing clamps with rigid wooden handles. I find the spring clamps and ones with flopping handles don't work as well in actual use.
Hope that helps.
Dave

840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
(250)888-9380    http://www.Bookbinder.ca

gina wischmeyer wrote:
Dear list members --

As a student of bookbinding, I have learned a lot from reading the list. Thanks to all of you who so freely share your knowledge and expertise. So I'm hoping you can help me out with some product information.

I will be spending a month this summer in northern Michigan. I would love to be able to do some bookbinding while I’m there, so I was looking on the web for some portable equipment to take with me. I found the “Bindery in a Box”, the Jordan-Dehoff Student Press and the Timothy Moore Compact Lying Press with Tub and Plow. Does anyone have any experience with any of these products, or information about others that I should consider? I have brass-edged boards and could use some large lake stones to make do for a book press, but I’d like something for rounding and backing. Also, I’ve never used a plow, but I’ve heard that it’s difficult to get satisfactory results...?

Any advice on these questions would really be appreciated!

Many thanks!

gina wischmeyer

to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx