[BKARTS] Leather Dyes

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> Hi, All.
Question about leather dye. I use alcohol based dyes (Fiebings) as well as water-based (Hewit). This week, I used both to color a natural ?pink? goatskin to look like 19th century sheepskin. And I wondered about the ?hardiness? of the two types of dye, particularly for handling years down the road. Middleton talks about water-based dyes smearing during refurbishing, but any concerns with normal handling?
(I?m already sadly familiar with mistakes from sloppy working practices: the appearance of ?tide lines? or spotting while pasting up newly colored leather, for example.)
 Any and all comments appreciated, especially from the restoration end.
Bob Roberts
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Eastern Tennessee