[BKARTS] Leather Rebacking at the Center for Book Arts

Please join us in April for a new weeklong intensive workshop in
leather conservation at the Center for Book Arts:

NEW! Leather Rebacking
Repairing damaged leather books can be a challenging task for
bookbinders. Learn rebacking of leather books on a hollow and the
tricky tightback in this weeklong intensive, which will cover spine
cleaning and relining, inner joint repairs, and corner consolidation
and repair. We will discuss issues relating to leather, dyes,
consolidants, adhesives, and tools for lifting and paring.  Come with
your questions and books to practice on. Students should bring to
class four old leather bindings with loose boards and/ or spines, or
cracked joints. The books should have intact sewing and sound leather
(no red rot). Remember that these books are intended for practice, and
shouldn't have any real value.
Prerequisite: Bookbinding II or Bookbinding I & previous experience
working with leather
April 23-27, Monday through Friday, 10 am to 4pm
Sophia Kramer               $475 members /$500 non members

SOPHIA KRAMER is a bookbinder, printmaker, and conservator. She holds
a BFA from Pratt Institute in Printmaking and Book Arts, and a MA from
Camberwell College in Book Conservation. She has taught workshops on
the rebacking of books at Shepards Bookbinders, where she worked for
four years as a book conservator. She currently is a Book Conservator
at Olin Library Cornell University at Cornell.

We are pleased to be able to offer this class; call us at 212-481-0295
to register, or online at www.centerforbookarts.org
<http://www.centerforbookarts.org/>

Sarah Nicholls
Program Manager