[BKARTS] Grand Opening of the Jaffe Center for Book Arts

Book Arts & Letterpress Lists:

FIVE is a big theme lately here at Florida Atlantic University's Wimberly Library, for the new 5-story Paul C. Wimbish Wing of our library is finally complete, and now it's time to celebrate. And that's just what we're doing, next Tuesday, March 27, from 4pm to 6pm... and we'd like you to join us if you can, for it's also the day we'll be officially showing off our new book arts center for the first time.

The new home of the Arthur & Mata Jaffe Collection: Books as Aesthetic Objects is a dynamic new center for book arts study and research, complete with working letterpress, bookbinding, and hand papermaking studios, and a brilliant new book arts gallery to house the artists' book collection. The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts will teach and showcase traditional and innovative approaches to the book arts, and challenge, more than ever, your definition of "The Book."

The celebration begins with a formal program outside the new wing at 4pm, with music by FAU Libraries' Klezmer Company Orchestra and comments by our special guest, Scott Eyman, author and books editor for the Palm Beach Post. Following the formal program, we'll have tours and receptions on all five floors of the Wimbish Wing. (Between you and me, though, the most fun will be on the third floor, at the Jaffe Center for Book Arts.)

If you plan on attending, please RSVP to Shirley Gerzon at (561) 297-3316... as soon as you can, for this announcement is admittedly late.

I speak for all of us here at the Jaffe Center for Book Arts when I say, "Hope to see you on Tuesday." Till then, though, there still are presses to be moved (Greg Timko has been here for almost a week now!), broadsides to be hung, and printing to be done!

John

John Cutrone Book Arts Coordinator The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library 777 Glades Road Boca Raton, Florida 33431 http://www.jaffecollection.org