Re: [BKARTS] deacidification of color newsprint

One quart warm tap water, 1/2 cup 7-up, or Sprite, 1 tbsp milk
of magnesia.

Mix the water and milk of magnesia, add to 7-up in a flat
nonmetallic pan, do not stir, the bubbles are part of the
magic.

Carefully sink the clippings in the solution making sure not to
overlap. Let set 10-40 minutes depending on age and condition.
Pick out clippings and apply to glass like ferrotyping photo
prints; place the desired image against the glass, being
careful to roll all the air bubbles out with a brayer. Let the
glass plate sit until the clippings are entirely dry, and fall
from the glass on their own.

I like to laminate in archival film as soon as possible after
the clippings are dried.

I say nonmetallic pan because I had bad luck with an aluminum
tray.

MaiKätzchen
--- Teri L Herbert <herbertl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What is the best way to deacidify a 2004 newspaper with
> a color photo in the article?  Is a magnesium-based
> deacidifying solution safer than a calcium-based one?
> Have there been any studies on long-term color
> retention in deacidified newsprint?  Have newspaper
> inks changed since 2000?  Do different newspaper
> companies use different inks?
>
> Lots of questions and I would love to start a discussion on
> this
> challenge.
>
> Teri Lynn Herbert
> Charleston, SC
> herbertL-at-musc.edu

> information
>
>  Due to persistent problems with display of the HTML digest,
> HTML is no
>     longer an option. Digest users, please reset your options
> to the
> "traditional" version by sending "set book_arts-l mail
> digest" without the ""
>                       to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

From the book, Charge of the Goddess