Re: [BKARTS] removing tape residue & Repair of parchment

In your second question Christine, you asked about repairing a tear in the
parchment.

I have repaired some holes in the limp vellum cover of a 1630 copy of
Mason's "Cure of Cares".   The vellum was cleaned and flattened and
replaced on the text block with new vellum thongs.  Before doing this the
missing corner and a hole torn out on the rear spine margin were repaired
with new pieces of vellum carefully chamfered and inserted.  The corner
had to folded over to complete the cover.    The adhesive I used was
archival PVA.    The repairs were done in 1989 and are still holding firmly.

I see no reason why the same adhesive would not close your tear.  If there
is a slight gap then perhaps paring some vellum as thin as possible to help
strengthen and support the tear would be sensible.

Rodney Fry
Crowthorne,
England

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent with PegasusMail 4.31a, BT Broadband System
W98 4.10.2222A 2nd Edn on ABIT KR7A-RAID,
AVG Free 7.5.432,  Mozilla Firefox browser v1.5
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx