[BKARTS] Map Conservation

Good Morning,

            Floundering more than a tad in Little Rock (as my frequent
posts may indicate), I pose several questions regarding conservation of
old maps. I continue to look for reputable books, etc., that address
this issue, but am not having much luck in locating up-to-date
material-so if you know of a terrific and definitive source, please
advise.  That said -

1.       Is it current practice to remove old fabric backings from maps
(even if the backing is in good shape and firmly bound to the paper)?
If so, is total immersion in successive baths of water the recommended
technique to loosen the backing?

2.       If we remove the backing, do we re-back with fabric (per
instructions circa 1955 from the Library of Congress)?

3.       If one doesn't remove the backing, but must mend tears in the
totality of the object, does one proceed with Japanese tissue and wheat
paste/methyl cellulose applied to the fabric backing?

I am very appreciative of all the advice I've received from this list.

Jane