[BKARTS] old Cicero on the old

	A friend, a professional who collects books for a hobby, has given me a
very early edition of Cicero's "Cato Major " to rebind. The book has
some very unusual features.  The book is available on internet
booksearch sites.  I quote one:

1744 (FRANKLIN, BENJAMIN). Cicero, Marcus Tullius. ... Cato Major, or
His Discourse of Old-Age: With Explanatory Notes. Philadelphia: Printed
and sold by B. Franklin, 1744. 4to. viii, 159 p. Printed on imported
Genoese paper. Title page in red and black. Leaf size 7.9 x 5.7 in.
Contemporary sprinkled calf, gilt fillet roll around covers, blind
sawtooth roll on edges, edges sprinkled red. Very skillfully rebacked in
period style, retaining original spine label.

Several prices are quoted for the book, all above $12 000.
	I think my friend, because the book is in such dreadful shape,
considered it a write off.  Its pages are discolored, the several front
and back pages are detached, some of the paper is crumbling, and the
book's covers have come off.  Interestingly, the book has a metal spine,
a thin band of sheet metal wrapped around the spine. The book was
attached to the covers via super, which has rotted. Apparently the super
was attached to the textblock in the usual fashion, and then the metal
piece was rolled around the spine.
	As far as I can see, recasing the book would require removing the metal
spine.  Does anyone in this group have any experience in dealing with
this problem?
	I think I am a bit out of my depth here.  However, I don't think my
friend is so much interested in the fate of the book.  I trust the
experience of the members of this group, and depending on your replies,
I'll either have a go at it, or return it to the owner.
	Thanks.
Jet

--
I have had only one prayer.  I have fervently prayed that God will make
my enemies to look ridiculous.  And my prayers have been answered.