Re: [BKARTS] Moving to Australia

Dear Ceil Davis, re moving to Melbourne

There is a quite a lot of activity in the book arts here in Melbourne and
i would recommend starting by subscribing to the Australian book arts
email list which you can access at
http://lists.collectionsaustralia.net/mailman/listinfo/artbooks

Also come in to the State Library of Victoria and see the Mirror of the
World exhibition and the current temporary exhibition 'How I entered there
I cannot truly say': Collaborative works from the ANU Edition + Artist
Book Studio (16 March - 17 June 2007)  and you can find out further
details at www.slv.vic.gov.au/artistbook - we are also running an
interesting public program in association with this exhibition which is
bringing together a range of different artists involved in book arts.

In melbourne the Firestation Print Studio
(http://www.firestationprintstudio.com.au/page/membership.html)   has been
running some book arts programs and there has been talk about Monash
University running a course. A number of commercial galleries are involved
in artists books exhibitions including Port Jackson Press
(http://www.portjacksonpress.com.au/); Australian Galleries Works on Paper
(http://www.australiangalleries.com.au/index.php?option=com_ag&task=gallery&id=4)
and Artisan Books (http://www.artisan.com.au/).

You may also want to contact the Victorian Bookbinders Guild at
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bookbind/ and see what they are doing.

Nationally there will be a Artists Books Fair held in Brisbane at the
University of Queensland in September which is being co-ordinated by
Noreen Grahame at Grahame Galelries and Editions
(http://www.grahamegalleries.com/) and while there you would want to visit
the Artists Books Collection at the State Library of Queensland
(http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/). In February there will probably be a
national artists books conference held at Artspace Mackay in the tropical
north of Queensland (http://www.artspacemackay.com.au/artists_books) which
will bring together practitioners from all over the country.

I hope that this gives you a starting point.

Robert Heather
Manager, Events and Exhibitions
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street