Re: [BKARTS] glue

William Minter wrote:
I am sorry to contradict the author of the reply to this question, but maybe my comments will open a discussion that will benefit everyone:
Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think that the strength of a water-based adhesive has anything to do with warping or "pulling" of one material against another. It is my understanding of the adhesives and the paper materials, that it is the expansion of the paper before it is applied to the another material that is the important factor. In other words, if a paper is being glued/pasted to another sheet of paper or board, as that paper is being glued with animal glue, PVA, wheat paste, or whatever 'water-based' adhesive, that paper will expand. And when that paper is applied to another surface, even a 3/4" thick sheet of plywood*, that paper will dry and shrink, thus pulling the other material in a concave manner.
Depending on the amount of water in the adhesive, AND depending on the length of time that the paper is allowed to expand, COUPLED with the type of paper, all of these will affect a degree of 'pull' of that paper when it is adhered to another material.
I'm with Bill on this.

In my opion, there are two possible alternatives to the original question --- the second might work, depending on the type of paper and circumstances:
1) The easiest solution is to use a non-water based adhesive so that the paper fibers cannot expand. The archives of this list has a number of alternatives, such as acrylic transfer adhesives from 3M that should work.
2) This next idea may work in some cases: Size the side of the paper that will be adhered with a thinned PVA; allow that paper to air dry so that it can shrink to its fullest extent. As it dries, it will start to cockle, so it may need to be placed between sheets of Reemay (spun-bonded polyester that will not stick) and under boards with a light weight for short periods of time so that the paper is somewhat flat. After the paper has fully dried, the PVA 'size' should provide a sufficient barrier to most of the water in the PVA that would be used to adhere the paper. Since the paper cannot expand very much, it should not pull the other material. Hopefully, this will work. It may even work with wheat paste, as long as you do not allow the moisture from the second pasting to get into the paper thus causing expansion again.
A third alternative I can vouch for is to first glue the back of the label(s) with somewhat thinned PVA. Let the PVA dry completely. After drying the label can be ironed on and will adhere without warping the substrate paper.

Don Rash