Re: [BKARTS] glue

Ahem, if I may. I have heard no one mention grain direction specifically. To avoid cockling and waves, the grain direction HAS TO be parallel to the spine. It is also adviseable to tightly press the book between boards (set slightly back 3-5mm to help create a natural shoulder).

If the grain of the paper is perpendicular to the spine cockling/waves will be created due to the paper expanding just in that area and then becoming permanent when the glue is dry. Happens ALL the time

p.

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>