Re: [BKARTS] glue

You are likely to be safe in assuming that handmade paper doesn't have a
grain. But, as I say to my children probably way too often, you know what
"assume" does: it makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me". I've come across
handmade paper that had a grain to it. Usually it's not as pronounced as
the grain in mould-made or machine-made paper. I guess it depends on the
papermaker's working methods. Grain is easy to check, and usually worth
the trouble.

I like Don Rash's second method a lot, especially if your problem is too
much moisture. If your substrate can't take ironing, or if the surface may
be too rough for a good ironing you could combine his second and third
methods by sizing the side of the paper that will be adhered with thinned
PVA, allowing it to dry on its own, ironing it flat (if it curled too
much)using a Teflon sheet to protect your ironing surface, and then
adhering it the label to the substrate with more PVA.

Regards,

Beth Lee
Tallahasee, Florida
www.callibeth.com