Re: [BKARTS] glue

Leonard Seastone wrote:
The fumes from nitrate dope are very heady and were often applied by young builders in unventilated bedrooms and basement workshops, making them dopey. Yes, it is the origin of our current use of the word dope. You know, they'd be flying on the stuff, the dopes.
Do you have a reference for that? This is what I found:

<http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=dope>
Online Etymology Dictionary

"1807, Amer.Eng., "sauce, gravy," from Du. doop "thick dipping sauce." Extension to "drug" is 1889, from practice of smoking semi-liquid opium preparation. Meaning "foolish, stupid person" is older (1851) and may have a sense of "thick-headed." Sense of "inside information" (1901) may come from knowing before the race which horse had been drugged to influence performance. Dope-fiend is attested from 1896."

-- JULES SIEGEL Apdo. 1764, 77501-Cancun, Q. Roo, Mexico http://www.cafecancun.com/bookarts

http://www.newsroom-l.net/