From: jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 8:41 AM
Subject: Re: glue

Leonard Seastone wrote:
> The fumes from nitrate dope are very heady and were often applied by > young builders in unventilated bedrooms and basement workshops, making > them dopey. Yes, it is the origin of our current use of the word dope. > You know, they'd be flying on the stuff, the dopes.
Do you have a reference for that? This is what I found:

<http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=dope
Online Etymology Dictionary

"1807, Amer.Eng., "sauce, gravy," from Du. doop "thick dipping sauce." Extension to "drug" is 1889, from practice of smoking semi-liquid opium preparation. Meaning "foolish, stupid person" is older (1851) and may have a sense of "thick-headed." Sense of "inside information" (1901) may come from knowing before the race which horse had been drugged to influence performance. Dope-fiend is attested from 1896."

-- JULES SIEGEL Apdo. 1764, 77501-Cancun, Q. Roo, Mexico
http://www.cafecancun.com/bookarts ;

http://www.newsroom-l.net/ ;

"traditional" version by sending "set book_arts-l mail nomime digest" without the ""
  to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx