Re: [BKARTS] Glue

Hi Andie,
From the dupont people who make it:
see: http://industrialpackaging.dupont.com/5techtips/index.html#glue
"Natural-product adhesives based on starch, dextrin, casein or animal by-products are preferred to synthetic-based adhesives. Synthetic adhesives often contain low-molecular-weight materials that can act as solvents at elevated temperatures and cause swelling and wrinkling. Hot animal glue is an excellent adhesive for adhering Tyvek® to paperboard. Water-based synthetic lattices also bond Tyvek® to itself and a variety of substrates. Ethylene/vinyl acetate adhesives are especially useful, as are the acrylic pressure-sensitive adhesives. Solvent-based single-component polyurethane adhesives provide optimum adhesion (lap and shear), flexibility and water-resistance for adhering Tyvek® to itself and a variety of substrates."
There are also a lot of tip about printing it etc. on that page.
Hope this helps.
Dave Allen

840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
(250)888-9380    http://www.Bookbinder.ca

Andie Thrams wrote:
Hi,

I am finding this glue discussion really helpful. I have a glue question
of my own to ask:

I have been experimenting with adding wheat paste to PVA for my books. I like the
extended open time of the wheat paste. But, I have run into things not adhering
as well quite as well when I add the wheat paste, something I never have had a problem with when using PVA alone.
This has happened when gluing tyvek to paper and also to book cloth. I have been combining
wheat paste to PVA in proportions of about 1:3.

Any advice on this most welcome.

Also interested in other's experiences painting/coloring/staining, etc. on tyvek.
Wondering about favorite media for applying color to tyvek, and what are the
pros and cons of different ways...

Thanks,
Andie Thrams