Re: [BKARTS] TYVEK

John,
	The base material of Tyvek is indeed a stable (archival if you will)
material, it is made of polyethylene.  It is however the coatings that are
put on it in the converting process that make most Tyvek that is
commercially available undesirable.  These coatings are most of the time
invisible to the hand or eye, and come in the form plasticizers, anti-static
coatings, and many others.  Many times these coatings are beneficial for
specific applications and fabrication processes, but for museum quality
applications where permanence is important, they are to be avoided.
	This being said, be careful of claims of acid-free or archival
grades of tyvek, as all tyvek is stated is, but it is these coating which
are present in most Tyvek production really makes it undesirable.
	We at Talas have sought out uncoated grades of Tyvek for
distribution to the archival industry, which have otherwise been
unavailable.  These can be found on our web site here:
http://tinyurl.com/29e8wj

Regards,
Aaron Salik

Talas