[BKARTS] Book Art Thesis Exhibitions At The University of the Arts (Philadelphia)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For interview and image requests, please contact:
Susan Viguers  sviguers@xxxxxxxxx         215-717-6270
Director of Book Arts and Printmaking Graduate Program

BOOK ARTS AND PRINTMAKING GRADUATE THESIS EXHIBITIONS
AT THE UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS

APRIL 17- MAY 15 No dust on these books! The
University of the Arts Master of Fine Arts in Book
Arts and Printmaking Thesis Candidates will present
their thesis work in Rosenwald-Wolf Gallery located in
Anderson Hall, at 320 South Broad Street on
Philadelphia?s own Avenue of the Arts. This year, the
thesis exhibition is divided into two parts,
appropriately called ?Chapters,? each featuring four
artists. ?Chapter One? will include Elena Bouvier,
Phuong Pham, Graham Watson, and Michelle Wilson, and
will run from April 17-30, with an opening reception
scheduled for April 20 from 5-8 PM. ?Chapter Two? will
present the work of Amanda D?Amico, D.E. ?Bo? DuVall,
Sun Young Kang, and Stephanie Stump, and will run from
May 2-15 with an opening reception on May 4, from 5-8
PM. Both receptions are free and open to the public.

Since their matriculation at The University of the
Arts, the Book Arts and Printmaking graduate class of
2007 has been unafraid to take risks and push the
boundaries of their mediums. The work in these thesis
exhibitions has been created with an awareness of both
time-honored and contemporary methods. Visitors to the
exhibition will see traditional methods and materials
such as leather binding, letterpress, and serigraphy,
as well as contemporary approaches through experiments
with woven horsehair, web art, electricity, and
ritually burnt paper in installation and interactive
media. As the city of Philadelphia becomes known as an
international center for book arts and printmaking,
the works presented in these thesis exhibitions can
hold their own next to any work of contemporary art
created today.

Elena Bouvier immigrated to Philadelphia from the
depths of South Jersey on a work visa as a free-lance
photographer. In her work, Bouvier makes the act of
photographing an act of collecting. Working with
objects ranging from common to playful, functional or
obsolete, the collections become an articulation of
the collectors' identity; we are not only what we eat,
but also what we desire, ritualize and own.

Amanda D?Amico grew up in a restaurant family in
Minneapolis. In her thesis exhibition, entitled
"Consume & Digest," D'Amico examines how we form our
own American identities through the objects, media,
and food that we consume in our daily lives. With a
bit of humor, D'Amico's books and prints reflect a
modern, media-saturated American identity.

Bo DuVall?s work deals with humor, identity,
commodification, and an irreverence that is held for
Literature and Art History. He grew up in West
Virginia along the Ohio River.

Sun Young Kang is a native of South Korea, where she
received a degree in traditional Korean painting.
Currently in her work she is exploring her Buddhist
beliefs by using shadow and light as metaphor of death
and life, losing and regaining, in human life.

Phuong Pham claims various parts of Pennsylvania and
Maryland as her home.  Her current work explores
drawing, surface, and organic materials as metaphor
for disappearing and reappearing.

Stephanie Stump explores ideas of communication and
connectivity in her work. With a panoply of materials
and media, Stump creates finished objects based on
anonymous submissions to her blog, Unsaid Thoughts
(www.unsaid-thoughts.blogspot.com). Each object is an
artistic response to a specific posting and can be
used as a means of communication.

Graham Watson produces books that document human
interactions with our environment. His pieces are
tools for contemplation of the complex systems within
the natural world.

Michelle Wilson examines environmental and political
interrelations through mapping and intersecting
narratives. Using handmade paper, her site-specific
thesis installation creates a narrative space that
draws viewers in and engages them in a timely, global
conversation about human rights violations and species
extinction.

The University of the Arts graduate program in Book
Arts and Printmaking offers a course of study in which
students explore the book as an art form that
incorporates two-dimensional as well as
three-dimensional structure, time and sequence, text,
and image. It embraces both the rich history of the
book and its new processes and forms.

Rosenwald-Wolf Gallery
333 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102