Re: [BKARTS] Refilling inkjet cartridges?

I for one have never used anything but Epson printers. I have a R800 (small format, up to 8.5" wide x up to 44" long) and a 4800 (17"x whatever) at home. The R1800 is also a nice printer (11" wide) and the newer models with the "K3" inks are also nice. The smaller format printers are well within your range.

Several companies make replacement ink feed systems for the Epsons, including continual feed systems. I will add, though, given my experience at work with these systems, that I've never used them personally - being a photographer (who makes books) getting consistent color balancing with replacement inks is a PITA. I have also seen inkjet heads get clogged beyond repair using these systems. So I only use genuine Epson inks. I find this especially important if you use an Epson with "K3" inks. YMMV.

The "R" series epsons are especially nice if you print a lot of glossy or luster work, as they have a gloss optimizer tank that coats the top of the paper. Indistinguishable from an actual glossy photo. My larger 4800 pushes matte papers only, as it only holds either Matte or Glossy black at one time. The R800 has both.

if Epson didn't exist, I'd look at some of the newer Canon printers -- we had a few demo units here at work for awhile and they were also quite nice. I don't have any long term experience with them however.

Hope that helps.

Greg

Gregory M. Coan
Assistant Systems Administrator
Washington University in St. Louis
Sam Fox School of Design and Visual Arts
College of Art
(314) 935-9290
gmcoan@xxxxxxxxx