[BKARTS] Society of Marbling Annual 2006 now available online.

Note: Please forgive any cross-postings of this message.

The Society of Marbling is an international organization devoted to the art of marbling (including paper marbling) and related arts. Our publication, the 2006 Annual, is now featured on the Society of Marbling website:

<http://marbling.org/>

This year, the publication is only made available as an electronic PDF file available by subscription. First published as a newsletter in 2003, this issue of the Annual includes 49 color images, and many hyperlinks to a variety of websites. Subscriptions cost $15 and can be paid for by printing and mailing the order form posted on the society web site, or using a credit card via PayPal. This eliminates the costly fees of sending a $US bank draft through the post for international subscribers.

We are very proud of this issue for many reasons. First of all, it features a new format, and you will find an increase in the number of images that are featured. This includes the front cover design of a stencil-marbled Arabic calligraphy panel by Güliz Pamukoglu that relates to a pair of exhibition reviews featuring her work as well as her teacher Feridun Özgören. They are currently showing their work at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston until April 29th:

<http://www.mfa.org/exhibitions/sub.asp?key=15&subkey=3470>

Other articles include a trio devoted to a historic pattern known as schrotel in German; including a translation by Garrett Dixon of Fichteneberg's instructions from his French manual published in 1852, a historical overview that addresses possible Ottoman Turkish origins by Jake Benson, and a contemporary approach to making the pattern by Iris Nevins. There is a special tribute to the late Phoebe Jane Easton, the author of Marbling: A History and Bibliography. A trio of articles review the collections of Don Guyot in Seattle, Washington, by Sandra Kroupa and Katie Blake, the Norma Rubovits in Chicago by Paul F. Gehl, and Frederick Douglas in the Denver Public Library by Caryl Hancock.

Another pair of articles feature the work of marblers Ky Lee of Seoul, Korea, and Renato Crepaldi of Sao Paulo, Brazil, while another pair review two workshops offered by Montse Buxó from Barcelona, Spain,
held last year in Montreal, Canada. Finally an article by Ingrid Weimann provides an overview of the production and publication by her late husband Christopher Weimann, entitled Marbling in Miniature.

We are VERY pleased to present these articles to you and would like to thank all of the contributors for taking the time to write them!

Back issues of the Annual can still be downloaded on our web site, and printed copies of the 2004 and 2005 issues are available (only black & white). The price is $15 + shipping. Please check the appropriate
lines on this order form, or order the electronic (PDF) version online using PayPal. For further information about these publications, please visit: www.marbling.org

In addition, Marie Palowoda offers an International Directory of Marblers and Resource Guide, available on CD-ROM in PDF format. Features of the Directory include: 313 listings, marbled paper collections, glossary, bibliography, and reference lists of suppliers, instructors, and periodicals. The price is $15+ shipping. Please check the appropriate lines on the order form.

One new feature, a Marbling Links page, can now be viewed by visiting
http://www.marbling.org/internet_links.htm

This feature was developed thanks to the efforts of our Yahoo List Moderator John Ang Siew! (who is also our Society of Marbling Links Coordinator). The page now features hyperlinks from all over the world for:

Professional and Practicing Marblers,
Educational Links and Tutorials (including movie clips),
Marbling Supplies and Retailers,
Other Decorative Paper Techniques,
Links on Marbling for Children, Schoolteachers, and Families,
nd even Marbling Novelties and Humor!
Be sure to check it out!

This past year, many changes affected our lives, making this issue of the Annual incredibly difficult issue to produce. Due to numerous time constraints, we have decided that this will be the last issue of the Annual that we will publish. From now on we plan to focus on developing our website as a public resource.

Later this year, thanks to the volunteer efforts of our Webmaster Dorothy LaFara, new software will be installed to allow for easier maintenance of the website, and greatly enhance and expand the range of resources currently offered. Once in place, we plan to add a Question & Answer page, Online Collections Guide, and a comprehensive multi-lingual Online Marbling Bibliography. The last is based upon the
life-long effort of the late Phoebe Jane Easton, the author of Marbling: A History and Bibliography, published in 1983 by the late Muir Dawson of Dawson's Book Shop in Los Angeles.

While we have many plans and much in store for our site, it is only with the help of volunteers that our website will further develop. We welcome anyone who would like to help in these endeavors. In addition, we are seeking for a volunteer to serve as our Online Gallery Coordinator. The ideal candidate would be an experienced image editor who is familiar with using Adobe Photoshop, and the process of image toning, scaling, thumbnail preparation, and the editing of cut lines.

If you do not wish to subscribe to the Annual at this time, but would like to be stay informed of future marbling events, please send Marie an email message with your name, address, and contact information to
marie@xxxxxxxxxxxx If you know any others who are interested in the art of marbling, please feel free to forward this notice to other potential subscribers.

Best Wishes,

Marie Palowoda (and Jake Benson)