Re: [BKARTS] (anti)book artists

a williams at Pickafight Books.
www.pickafightbooks.com

I work primarily altering books, though unlike many altered book artists, I more often than not bind the books myself to alter. I rarely use a pre-existing book unless it has a particular relevance to the work, or the title is nice. Like a work of mine called "Preservation" - which is a book entitled "Preservation", which has been bottled in ethanol with the aid of musuem staff at Sydney University - The work was made to discuss the problems of conservation and the practice of archiving books - which is a double edged sword (as was thoroughly discussed a few months back on this listing.).

Other Australian artists i know of based in Melbourne who work in the Altered Book genre are Katherine Hattam, Nicholas Jones and Kylie Stillman. They recently gave a talk at NLA show "How I entered there I truly cannot say".

I'd love for any altered book artists out there to get in touch with me.

Cheers,

Andrew Williams
Pickafight Books
www.pickafightbooks.com