To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: (anti)book artists

a williams at Pickafight Books.
www.pickafightbooks.com

I work primarily altering books, though unlike many altered book artists, I more often than not bind the books myself to alter. I rarely use a pre-existing book unless it has a particular relevance to the work, or the title is nice. Like a work of mine called "Preservation" - which is a book entitled "Preservation", which has been bottled in ethanol with the aid of musuem staff at Sydney University - The work was made to discuss the problems of conservation and the practice of archiving books - which is a double edged sword (as was thoroughly discussed a few months back on this listing.).

Other Australian artists i know of based in Melbourne who work in the Altered Book genre are Katherine Hattam, Nicholas Jones and Kylie Stillman. They recently gave a talk at NLA show "How I entered there I truly cannot say".

I'd love for any altered book artists out there to get in touch with me.

Cheers,

Andrew Williams
Pickafight Books
www.pickafightbooks.com
pickafightbooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

edward van Vliet <etechne@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

just found an interesting site by a photographer who alters books by
soaking them in tubs and photographing the alterations:
http://www.carabarer.com/index.php.

  this stirred the question: what other book artists make destroying or
almost destroying books their primary mode of book art? i immediately
think of john latham and dieter rot. but there are obviously many more
(and i'm drawing a blank). any suggestions?

In essentials, unity. In nonessentials, liberty. In all things, charity. - Augustine

[When looking at art,] we must use our eyes. We must look, and go on
looking till we have certainly seen exactly what is there. We sit down
before the picture in order to have something done to us, not that we
may do things with it. The first demand any work of any art makes upon
us is surrender. Look. Listen. Receive. Get yourself out of the way.
(There is no good asking first whether the work before you deserves such
a surrender, for until you have surrendered you cannot possibly find
out.) — C.S. Lewis, An Experiment in Criticism