Re: [BKARTS] Bookart?

Definitions stifle creativity :-)

________________ Gregory M. Coan gmcoan@xxxxxxxxx

On Apr 19, 2007, at 09:11 , Marnie Powers-Torrey wrote:

I like the following definitions. They serve to subdivide rationally while remaining general enough to allow for whatever comes next in the world of book art!

BOOK: collection of blank and/or image bearing sheets usually fastened together along one edge and trimmed at the other edges to form a single series of uniform leaves

ART BOOK: book of which art or an artist is the subject

ARTISTS' BOOK: book of which an artist is the author

BOOK ART: art which employs the book form

BOOKWORK: artwork dependent upon the structure of a book

BOOK OBJECT: art object which alludes to the form of a book

Clive Philpot's definitions for the cover of Art Documentation: Bulletin of the Art Libraries Society of North America I, no. 6 (December, 1982)

Marnie Powers-Torrey Studio Manager, Instructor, Printer Book Arts Program and Red Butte Press J. Willard Marriott Library 295 South 1500 East Salt Lake City, UT 84112

On Behalf Of Jane Conneen
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 8:05 AM

On Apr 19, 2007, at 3:28 AM, Søren Ibsen wrote:

Soren Ibsen has finally put into words what I have been wanting to say all along. There should be a category for "Books" (Bindings that can be opened to look inside and read the text or look at the pictures, or both) and "Book Inspired Objects" such as a box with a couple of dice inside. Three cheers for Soren Ibsen. I hope this catches on.

Jane Conneen
The Little Farm Press