To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 12:11 AM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Bookart?

I like the following definitions. They serve to subdivide rationally while remaining general enough to allow for whatever comes next in the world of book art!

BOOK: collection of blank and/or image bearing sheets usually fastened together along one edge and trimmed at the other edges to form a single series of uniform leaves

ART BOOK: book of which art or an artist is the subject

ARTISTS' BOOK: book of which an artist is the author

BOOK ART: art which employs the book form

BOOKWORK: artwork dependent upon the structure of a book

BOOK OBJECT: art object which alludes to the form of a book

Clive Philpot's definitions for the cover of Art Documentation: Bulletin of the Art Libraries Society of North America I, no. 6 (December, 1982)