Re: [BKARTS] Bookart? Two dozen roses for the definers

Thanks, Peter, It's sweetly nostalgic to read these discussions and definitions of ten or more years ago and to remember some of our old pals. I thought the cumulated discussion defines the terms under discussion more sensibly and usefully than the tags/captions being debated, but I kept feeling the beauty of the discussion was at variance to what we were attempting to define and what we thought we were saying. Perhaps the term "Bookart" is useful after all, if only to acknowledge something weird here. Marianne Moore's attempts to re-name the Edsel, which follows, courtesy of the Wikipedia, came to mind.

Edsel, a difficult name to place

The name of the car, Edsel, is also often cited as a further reason for its unpopularity. Naming the vehicle after Edsel Ford was proposed early in its development, however the Ford family strongly opposed its use, Henry Ford II stating that he didn't want his father's good name spinning around on thousands of hubcaps. Ford also ran internal studies to decide on a name, and even dispatched employees to stand outside movie theatres to poll audience as to what their feelings were on several ideas. They reached no conclusions.

Ford hired the advertising firm Foote, Cone and Belding to come up with a name. However when the advertising agency issued its report, citing over six thousand possibilities, Breech commented that they had been hired to develop a name, not six thousand names. Early favorites for the name brand included Citation, Corsair, Pacer and Ranger, which were ultimately chosen for the vehicle's series names.

David Wallace, Manager of Marketing Research and co-worker Bob Young unofficially invited poet Marianne Moore for input and suggestions. Wallace's rationale was "who better to understand the nature of words than a poet."

Moore, a loyal Ford owner, submitted numerous lists which included: "Silver Sword," "Thundercrest" (and "Thundercrester"), "Resilient Bullit," "Intelligent Whale," "Pastelogram," "Adante con Moto" "Varsity Stroke," and "Mongoose Civique." (One name she suggested, "Chaparral", later coincidentally was used for a racing car.) Against the strong objection from her brother, Moore also submitted the name TURCOTINGA, which was a play on the Cotinga (a South American finch) and the color turquoise; however she noted in her letter to Wallace that it was simply a suggestion that if wanted to go in direction of nature, that she had several volumes of works that she could review. In a letter dated December 8, 1955, Moore wrote the following:

Mr Young,
May I submit UTOPIAN TURTLETOP? Do not trouble to answer unless you like it. Marianne Moore

All these outside ideas were rejected, although Miss Moore received two dozen roses and a thank you note affectionately addressed to the Top Turtletop which Moore found amusing. In her reply to Young she regretted that she could not have been more help, and noted that she was looking forward to trying out the vehicle when it was introduced.