Re: [BKARTS] Bookart? Two dozen roses for the definers

& Thanks Michael, for this lovely reminder of the poetic function
of language.  It occurred to me yesterday in watching this debate
unfold that it was essentially an ancient one.  the approach that
I have found most useful is Wittgenstein's.  Language is inherently
slippery and philosophical problems arise when we attempt to
use language as if it were a system of logical propositions (&
denotatively). Rather than try to pin all our wriggling specimens
down so that we can come up with a proper taxonomy --
why not think of artist books etc in terms of family resemblances?
I should hope that each one is as unique as any human utterance --
perhaps some more Ford Mustang and some more Utopian Turtletop.
That is to say again that the connotative or metaphoric use of
language is ultimately more satisfying.  ambiguity will arise
however we slice it.

Karen Randall
http://www.propolispress.com