Re: [BKARTS] bookart

Andrew Williams wrote:
> I'm excited by books that challenge me and when they allow a space for you
> to enter them, to enter and engage in contemplation with them, there is
> nothing better. I want to see where artists can take book arts,
> and see how
> they can communicate to me. We will always have the codex, it is a fine
> form, but it is not the penultimate model for communication.

What excites me about what you say is this: Book dealers (and teachers,
publishers etc.) are wondering if the book as we know it is about to become
extinct - certainly there have been efforts to produce "electronic books,"
and sites like Gutenberg Project and Google are making many texts available
online. Does this spell doom for the printed book? In some cases, one might
hope that the plethora of worthless literature would cease...but that would
require judgments on worth, which isn't going to happen. (Publishers no
longer rely on the opinions of their editors - hopeful manuscripts are sent
to the SALES department, where it is decided if they will "sell enough
copies" before they are accepted for publication. No more Max Perkins, et.
al., nurturing promising writers along.)

So...moving the book - the concept, the idea of the book - PUSHING the book
into new forms of presentation and physical structure, making the book
alluring aesthetically - all of that may well entice younger people into
loving books, and perhaps in the full circle of things the beloved
codex-as-carrier-of-information will be rediscovered and saved???

I wonder at the young folks who are hooked on "mid century modern" furniture
(not the good stuff, but the gawdawful plastic-and-chrome tables and so
forth that I was doomed to grow up with). Or who "love" the retro 70s style
(which I'm trying to eradicate from our 70s-built house.) Things do come
around...not nostalgia, but a love for nostalgia one doesn't have. So
perhaps even if the book (as codex) does lose favor for a while, the love of
books will be reignited through these more inventive forms.

Hope I'm still around when that happens...

Lee, aka "Pollyanna"

Lee Kirk

The Prints & The Paper
PO Box 5432