Re: [BKARTS] bookart

"What I ask of a stone carving is that it should look like stone" Eric Gill

----- Original Message ----- From: "The Prints & The Paper" <theprintsandthepaper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] bookart

-----Original Message-----
From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Michael Andrews
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 12:37 PM

> On The Definitions Of Book

Gosh Michael - it appears that you have the foundations here for a ....erm.....book.

????

Discourse is wonderful, discussion is good - even when we don't agree
entirely if we pay attention we might discover something, eh? I'm not sure
that I enjoy anything more than a concept-challenging discussion. Thanks for
taking the time to express your views so clearly and elaborately.

Now I'm curious - how do people feel about digital books? That is, texts
that are accessed on the Internet. Sure, you can print them off (if you have
time, lots of ink and paper) but does the digital, ethereal book count as
"book?" Or is it only text, the spirit or ghost of a "book"?

Technology always challenges our perceptions. The invention of paper removed
the necessity of using bark or hide or stone or clay or bone or other
mediums for recording texts. The invention of the codex removed the
necessity of storing texts in rolls or scrolls or folding panels or separate
sheets. The invention of moveable type removed the necessity of inscribing
texts by hand or fully-carved blocks. Additional technologies replaced
letterpress, offset....now, where is digital information storage taking us?

For my part, I still like the touchy-feely aspect of books. I like their
textures, their smell (when it's a book bookish odor), the visual aspects,
their weight and balance. Sometimes I like their sounds (and books are full
of sounds) except for one I read recently that squeaked and groaned when I
opened it or turned a page. Honestly - the noisiest book imaginable. I
started trying to play gruesome little tunes with it (seemed to be something
to do with the quality of the paper/binding.)

Bookarts as such are still dealing with past technologies and materials.
What's next?

Lee

Lee Kirk
http://www.kirksbooks.com