[BKARTS] Spring classes and workshops offered by Seattle Center for Book Arts

Spring 2007 Classes and Workshops

Sign up now for SCBA spring classes and workshops! Register online by
clicking the links below for these upcoming opportunities!

*Special Bookbinding Series: Exposed Spine Bindings*
Thursdays, May 3, 10, 17 & 24, 6:30 – 9 pm, $175

This winter we will be offering a special series focusing on books with
exposed spine bindings. Taught by local book artists, including Lisa
Hasegawa, Lynne Kelly, Yuka Petz and Dan Shafer, the class will feature an
array of intriguing-sounding bindings:

• Piano Hinge
• French Stitch
• Secret Belgian Import Binding
• The Caterpillar

The common thread that holds each of these books together is that they all
have unique spine treatments. The Exposed Spine Bindings class is
appropriate for beginning as well as experienced book artists.

More info and registration:
http://www.seattlebookarts.org/classes/class_sp2007_exp-spine.html

*Traditional Chinese Ink Rubbing*
Saturday, May 19, 10 am – 2 pm, $60

In this workshop, we'll learn another technique for generating imagery
without a press. Invented in China, prior to the development of woodblock
printing, ink rubbing created detailed duplications of relief surfaces.
Heavy stone-carved books, calligraphy and images were easily shared and
transported by pilgrims and scholars after impressions were made onto thin
paper. We'll explore traditional methods and experiment with new
applications of the world's oldest form of reprographics.

More info and registration:
http://www.seattlebookarts.org/classes/class_sp2007_rubbings.html

*Spontaneous Books*
Saturday, June 9, 10 am – 3 pm, $70.

Be inspired by the moment! Come make three spontaneous books through
exercises designed to broaden your approach to artist's books. We will work
independently on the Book in a Bag, collaboratively on One-Hour Books and
then apply what we've discovered to the No Text Narrative Challenge!
Appropriate for beginners and seasoned pros, our workshop will be a day of
creative and spontaneous fun. Instructors: Lisa Hasegawa and Yuka Petz

More info and registration:
http://www.seattlebookarts.org/classes/class_sp2007_spontaneous.html

Don't forget about our Pacific Northwest book arts calendar! http://www.seattlebookarts.org/calendar_region.html

www.seattlebookarts.org

(c)2007 Seattle Center for Book Arts. All Rights Reserved.
PO Box 16251, Seattle, WA 98116 • info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- Lisa Hasegawa ilfant press Seattle