Re: [BKARTS] bookarts

I have been reading the thread with interest, but I was surprised that
no one mentioned the obvious.  A large part of what we now consider
"art" or "craft" is basically obsolete technology.  This is true whether
we are making a hand-hammered copper vessel, a platinum print, an oil
painting, or a coptic codex.  Some portion of the artistic choice of
people living in an industrial world is to elevate the value of
hand-crafted items.  I guess it really goes back to William Morris and
the Arts and Crafts Movement.

On the other side, we have the post-DADA use of manufactured goods, aka
readymades, from Marcel DuChamp to Jeff Koons.  Then there is the use of
modern industry in the service of art (Donald Judd, for example).

There is definitely one "school" which celebrates the use of hand tools
and the "hand" of the artist, yet the other "school" celebrates only the
ideas of the artist (who may be seen as an architect or industrial
designer, because he or she doesn't participate in the manufacturing
side  of the project). When Peter Verheyen said "blech," we could tell
which side he favored.

Valinda Carroll

The information contained in this message is intended only for the recipient, and may otherwise be privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, please be aware that any dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. This footnote also confirms that this email has been scanned for all viruses by the Hampton University?s Center for Information Technology Enterprise Systems service.