Re: [BKARTS] I think the way some view the Plastic Arts is hindering the current discussion.

I give up. Your loss.

Norman
On Apr 25, 2007, at 5:21 AM, Syracuse University LISTSERV Server (14.4) wrote:

?????
Unknown command - "?????". Try HELP.

I've no problem reaching these sites. or making a phone call to the
Unknown command - "I'VE". Try HELP.

addresses given.
Unknown command - "ADDRESSES". Try HELP.

On Apr 25, 2007, at 5:12 AM, Syracuse University LISTSERV Server (14.4)
Unknown command - "ON". Try HELP.

wrote:
Unknown command - "WROTE:". Try HELP.

<http://ufemisms.com/>
Unknown command - "<HTTP:". Try HELP.

<http://artasidentity.blogspot.com/>
Unknown command - "<HTTP:". Try HELP.

<http://mathforum.org/~sarah/shapiro>
Unknown command - "<HTTP:". Try HELP.

cellphone: 917-776-6758
Unknown command - "CELLPHONE:". Try HELP.

On Apr 25, 2007, at 5:01 AM, Syracuse University LISTSERV Server
(14.4)
Unknown command - "ON". Try HELP.

wrote:
Unknown command - "WROTE:". Try HELP.

Andrew,
Unknown command - "ANDREW,". Try HELP.

Art is NEVER about suspending critical thinking and demands
the viewer to make countless value judgments - and it is not just
about
whether we 'like it or not'.

I think the way some view the Plastic Arts is hindering the current
discussion.

Brilliant rebuttal:
Unknown command - "BRILLIANT". Try HELP.

I disagree that sculpture and the plastic arts are merely 'viewed'
and
not
read. That the plastic arts don't deal in terms of true and false
or
contain analytical thought is, I think, blatantly untrue.
Take History painting - a genre of painting where current events
are
commissioned to be painted by an artist. A text. Much great
research
and
historical commentary has been conducted pouring over the surface
of
painting or print. It can be described as being true and false. It
contains historical information. Portraiture is no different. They
are
documents.
War artists do the same job - documenting the realities and events
of
war. Art
does contain significant texts. I brought up the Burghers of Calais
for
that reason - there is a text contained in that sculpture - it is
not
merely an
illustration.

Norman Shapiro
Unknown command - "NORMAN". Try HELP.

ufemisms.com
Unknown command - "UFEMISMS.COM". Try HELP.

artasidentity.blogspot.com
Unknown command - "ARTASIDENTITY.BLOGSPOT.COM". Try HELP.

artforum.org/~sarah/shapiro
Unknown command - "ARTFORUM.ORG". Try HELP.

1-917-776-6758
Unknown command - "1-917-776-6758". Try HELP.

Your message did not contain any command. Note that lines starting
with a
"greater than" sign ('>') are ignored.