Re: [BKARTS] bookart

Andrew Williams wrote:
This makes me think of the relationship between architecture and books -
going back to a time when a church was a book - a building the audience
'read' and learnt the scriptures from. A book for the illiterate masses. A
PUBLICation.
Well, as the person who posted the blocks with photos on them and dared to call the work a book, I'd like to say thanks Andrew!
What excites me about what you say is this: Book dealers (and teachers,
publishers etc.) are wondering if the book as we know it is about to become
extinct
And Lee, isn't it interesting how every time there is a new medium, people think the old mediums will suddenly become extinct? I came across an interesting article not long ago, with this little gem in it:

   /"Two thousand years ago, Socrates argued that the book would
   destroy people’s ability to reason. He believed in dialogue, in
   conversation and debate. But with a book, there is no debate: the
   written word cannot talk back."/

So...moving the book - the concept, the idea of the book - PUSHING the book
into new forms of presentation and physical structure, making the book
alluring aesthetically - all of that may well entice younger people into
loving books, and perhaps in the full circle of things the beloved
codex-as-carrier-of-information will be rediscovered and saved???
As a lecturer in multimedia design, I teach a subject called Information Architecture - as it relates to dealing with large and complex amounts of information in an interactive, virtual space - and often use examples of analogue information systems, like books, to illustrate principles such as structure, dynamics, spacial interaction, fluidity and linear construction.

Complex multimedia projects which deal in large volumes of information are essentially another type of book and use similar - and new - structures for accessing, moving around in and storing this information. Kind of like an adults' 'Choose Your Own Adventure' story. And this form of book has definitely moved beyond the confines of a traditional codex involving spines and blank pages.

As an artist, I am interested in exploring this cross-over between the traditional information system form and the new digital interactive form, using concepts of interactivity, fluidity and dynamics outside the digital media environment. Kind of like an analogue VR world.

I am also interested in the way we create our environment with words. Look around! Every available space - visual and aural, is saturated with messages (often conflicting). We no longer confine knowledge, information, dissemination or even poetry to books; now that the masses are literate, we've seen this as an invitattion to turn the whole world into a giant book. If there is no available space, people will scribble poetry on a wall or scrawl a message into wet cement. I'm fascinated with this language-world, the way we respond to and interact with it.

And so in exploring these ideas, I am interested in pushing the concept of what a 'book' is in new directions. And since I have no background in 'book arts', I make it up as I go along. Of course, I realise that what I do is probably pretty esoteric to many traditonal book makers and kind of on the fringe of what could be termed a book.

Just for the record, I'd be very happy to call my work 'book objects', 'book sculpures', 'conceptual bookart' or any other term you like. I also love traditional books and bookmaking, and I find the debates on this list extremely interesting!

Cheers,
Bea

--
Shameless self promotion