[BKARTS] Text & Context

> When I use a word ... it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less. ...
I was afraid you'd say that...

> Context: noun: discourse that surrounds a language unit and helps to determine its interpretation
Problem here is: to what extent that context determine the interpretation. If you're in line with structuralist and poststructuralist linguistics, then it's just about all context.
So we're back to the old argument underlying this discussion, the medieval dispute between the Realists and the Nominalists, e.g those who believe a word like "artists' book" circumscribes/surrounds a distinct reality in the real world, or that when we call a rose a rose we grasp only the name of the rose. Wittgenstein was fighting a rear-guard battle against nominalism, so I view the quote from him with some caution.

> a landscape cannot be true or false.
cf. Augustine, that a picture is true to the extent that it is false, and false to the extent that it is true. So a landscape could be true AND false in different degrees. Or else, where's the fun?

Paul Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language