Re: [BKARTS] bookart

Indeed - I grew up in the "golden age of radio" and the advent of TV
proclaimed the death of radio. Well, it did kill a lot of types of
programming, but radio continues on...Videos were going to replace
movies...etc. etc. It is true that the Internet is putting a tremendous
strain on newspapers, but many are responding by incorporating digital
information on their websites. Innovations sometimes force change, but isn't
that what it's all about? Evolution?

> As an artist, I am interested in exploring this cross-over between the
> traditional information system form and the new digital interactive
> form, using concepts of interactivity, fluidity and dynamics outside the
> digital media environment. Kind of like an analogue VR world.

And why not? Leonardo envisioned mechanisms such as aircraft, the
automobile, etc. but lacked the technology to produce viable models. The
potential was there but the means had not yet been developed. Given the
development of digital and electronic media, why shouldn't some of our more
traditional media make use of and exploit them? Depending on your mindset or
viewpoint, it may not all be "good" or "art" or even useful, but why not
explore the possibilities?

I remember reading, back in the early 1970s, predictions that there would
one day be a "computer in every home." Pundits at the time laughed at that -
ordinary people, they said, would be too intimidated by computers to use
them. Well, just lookie where we are now. People are far more plastic in
their thinking and willingness to accept innovation than they are given
credit for. Young people who encounter these mediums at an early age accept
them as normal.

> I am also interested in the way we create our environment with words.
> Look around! Every available space - visual and aural, is saturated with
> messages (often conflicting). We no longer confine knowledge,
> information, dissemination or even poetry to books; now that the masses
> are literate, we've seen this as an invitattion to turn the whole world
> into a giant book.

It's nothing new. Look at the rock art of thousands of years ago - all over
the world. I have visited many sites where history, stories, events, and
religious texts were recorded on or in stone...from petroglyphs and
pictographs on cliffs and rocks to lava flow of many acres in Hawaii
absolutely covered with pictographs (many now destroyed in the interests of
creating golf courses and resorts). Egyptians, Romans, Greeks, etc. etc.
adorned their walls with text as well as art, and in some cases pure
graffiti has been discovered. Humans have this need to leave a record, make
a mark - I have also visited "Register Rocks" on the Oregon trail. I can
remember "hobo signs" on the fence behind my grandparents' farm, as well as
on my own doorstoop at one time. (And I have collected a number of examples
of this special ideographic language.)  As for poetry - many cities now put
poetry on buses. I just watched an "arts" program about the poetry on
Portland Oregon buses, where they sometimes put the poets on the buses to
read their work that appears there.

> And so in exploring these ideas, I am interested in pushing the concept
> of what a 'book' is in new directions. And since I have no background in
> 'book arts', I make it up as I go along. Of course, I realise that what
> I do is probably pretty esoteric to many traditonal book makers and kind
> of on the fringe of what could be termed a book.

It's often the "outsiders" who innovate....and often to the consternation of
the old guard. Territorial imperatives, conditioned response, hard-won
expertise and understanding, all contend against what sometimes seems to be
arbitrary rattling of bars...thinking outside the bars is always difficult
if you have spent a lifetime erecting them and learning their limits.

And for all that we have invented it, there is nothing trickier than
language. Even if we want to confine it to rules and definitions, it
changes, too. At one time, "cute" meant "bow-legged" and "nice" meant
anything but!

Cheers, Lee
Lee Kirk
http://www.kirksbooks.com

Ars Poetica

A poem should be palpable and mute
As a globed fruit

Dumb
As old medallions to the thumb

Silent as the sleeve-worn stone
Of casement ledges where the moss has grown -

A poem should be wordless
As the flight of birds

A poem should be motionless in time
As the moon climbs

Leaving, as the moon releases
Twig by twig the night-entangled trees,

Leaving, as the moon behind the winter leaves,
Memory by memory the mind -

A poem should be motionless in time
As the moon climbs

A poem should be equal to:
Not true

For all the history of grief
An empty doorway and a maple leaf

For love
The leaning grasses and two lights above the sea -

A poem should not mean
But be

 	-- Archibald MacLeish