Re: [BKARTS] codices

At 08:08 AM 4/26/2007, you wrote:
At the end of the day, a book is nothing more than smears of black stuff on
mashed up plants with hard bits on the outside.

I do not mean to pick a fight, but I find it interesting in this discussion (I admit I have not followed it closely) that "book" seems to mean exclusively "codex", understandable for Book Artists, of course.

A book is not just the medium, but the message. I catalog "books"
that are on CD's or DVDs and will never exist in printed form. We
also have books that are basically homemade "scrap albums," and books
that exist only in the ether of the internet. Books on scrolls, clay tablets,
written on walls are still books, just not codices.

Just something to think about (not fight about!)

Susan Fatemi
Earthquake Engineering Library
University of California, Berkeley
Ph: (510) 665-3526