From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Sally Canzoneri
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 11:34 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] Folding medieval medical book

Good day all,

I'm trying to find information and sources for photographs of a type of
book
that was carried by doctors in the Middle Ages. The book has  pages that
fold
into a small strip that made it easy to carry. I've got one book  that has a
photo and brief caption, but doesn't say where the photo is from or  what
collection the book is in. (I'd like to get a photograph I can use in a
book I am
writing.)

Also, I somewhere got the idea in my head that this type of book was called
a vade mecum, but I'm not sure where I got the idea. I do know that there
are
codex form books called or titled vade mecums, but I have this  vague idea
that the folded medieval medical books were the original vade  mecums.  Am I
right? Or have I accidentally made up a book history  "urban legend" -- as
in a
story that sounds good, but is not true?

I'd very much appreciate anything any of you kind & knowledgeable  people
can
tell me.

Thanks,

Sally Canzoneri