[BKARTS] using text

Original Message-----
From: Book_Arts-L  [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
alice Simpson
Sent:  Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:37 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  [BKARTS] Using text

Oh, Learned Ones,
I'm developing a unique book based and  inspired by a character in a play and
using portions of her dialog. The text is  sequential, but selective and
incomplete.

• How would I punctuate these  quotes?

• Would pages have quotation marks at beginning and end of dialog  segments?

• Should there be "... (quotation mark, dot, dot, dot) at the  start of the
each individual quote?

• How would I describe this use of  portions of dialog/text in my colophon?

Thanks,
Alice

A L I C E   S I M P S O N
C L  A Y   &   B O O K S

Alice,

You don't say whether you are mixing the dialogue  into text of your own or
if the text of your book will be entirely  made up of excerpts of the
character's dialogue.  Like other people  who have commented, I think you should feel
free to fudge the traditional rules  on quotations. After all, you are not
writing a term paper. The whole point  of rules about punctuating quotes is to
make it clear to the reader who is  saying what. If you can convey that with
fonts and colors, go with it. If the  text is made up entirely of quotes from the
dialogue, you could leave out  quotation marks, et al. and explain in your
introduction or  colophon.

Hope it goes well. By the way, is the character a  dancer?

Sally Canzoneri