Re: [BKARTS] bookart

Hi Gerald

I'd like to come by some time. I am not sure when
because I am short two books that I need to remake,
not to mention being 3 months behind on break even orders.

Unless of course you ever get to Hermosa -
but unless you need to get drunk there is little reason
to get to Hermosa.

I've mostly been up to my dying and sick parents.
Pop died and Mom is an ongoing adventure.
It has taken over my life at the unfortunate moment
when I most needed to do my own work
and as far as that goes, I'm dog paddling.

Yep, the thread did dwindle down to a frayed end.
I had trouble with some guy who was of the rose by any other name school of thinking.
Trouble is he couldn't identify a rose by a rose or by any other name.

I once ran poetry readings and we worked outrageous amounts,
endless hours and at our own expense
to set up a venue and find an audience.
All for no money naturally.

Then musicians wanted to horn in and perform in the poet's space.
They saw an audience and could not resist the urge to get in front of it and wiggle and warble.
In my opinion there was an overwhelming avalanche of venues, not to mention floods of money,
available to musicians and almost none for poets.
One interesting thing was that it was bongo thumpers, chanteuses and guitar strummers
of no particular talent. They were not going to make it in the musician world
because of the fierceness of the competition so they wanted to cash in on poetry world.
I decided it was unfair of them to try to cash in on the poets,
who were all better at what they did than what the musicians did,
and their non-paying and hard earned tiny audience.
So I ruled the musicians out.

The guy in the thread, in effect, wanted to call a book a guitar
and a poem a song, by calling anything he liked a book
and so allow the sculptures etc. to cash in on the book market
which is tiny enough and not particularly well heeled in the first place.

That little matter of economic buccaneering and general mental dysfunction irritated me.

Are you going to Oak Knoll this year?
I have to sign up, but I am pretty sure the expense of getting there
is going to put an end to it for me in the very near future.
So each year I go I go thinking it may well be the last year.

CODEX was every bit as hard as Oak Knoll for seeing other people's work.
I tried to walk around but there was only time to scan the surface of tables
and by the time I went up and down two rows my foot started pounding
and I hurried back to my little rat hole of books
with the hard ass seat and the elevator cane and the sweet peace of oblivion.

I was particularly unimpressed by the speakers,
except for Stefan, and for Jaffe's little tirade
(I hope it was not some serious octogenarian brain fart)
and, if not, it was nice touch of comic relief.

Once again Duke Collier quoted me without reference.
I guess he thinks it is a taste of intellectual controversy.
He loves to quote me, but never buys a thing.

Life's fair

Hey, how about those democrats huh?

you might almost think it was a democracy

michael

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@xxxxxxx>