Re: [BKARTS] A little shameless publicity

I really like your work. I am just learning block printing now. Any technique tips most welcome!

I was asked to do a calendar of natural events for the Friends of the Forest Preserves (Cook County, IL) and decided that neither scratchboard nor stipple suited the project. So I went out, bought some blocks, ink and tools and have been fumbling along for a few weeks now. When I get something I like, inked and scanned, I will put it on my blog, I suppose...

One problem I have been running into: When I ink up my block, the inked image seems not as dense as I'd like, even tho the ink has good coverage on the block. Is something wrong with the ink? I have a Speedball water-based ink and also an oil-based ink. Even the oil- based ink a friend loaned me didn't get a good impression, with thin Japanese paper and a good baren... Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks, and you can email me off-list, if you'd care to help me solve this one! : )

Kathy G